It’s 2018 and the notion that weights are just for men should be long gone! But just incase you still need some convincing to pick up a dumbbell or head to the bench, we’ve got some important reasons why all you ladies should be lifting!
1. Busting Myths! First thing’s first, if your initial thought is ‘I’ll get too bulky if I start doing weights’ - stop! It’s a complete myth and just won’t happen. Yes you’ll get leaner, yes you’ll feel stronger, but unless you're sticking to an extreme bodybuilding regime, you’re not going to end up looking super muscly.
2. It’s the key to losing fat. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolic rate and the more calories you’ll burn. Simple.
3. Cardio gets boring! Adding some weight training to your workout mixes things up a bit. Noone wants to endlessly run on the treadmill, bring something new to your routine and relight your enjoyment for training.
4. We need variation when we’re training. A mixture of cardio, weight training and mobility movement is the magic combination to losing fat, feeling strong and making sure our bodies are functioning to the best of its ability.
5. There are so many ways to lift weights! You don’t have to stick to deadlifts and back squats. Although they have their place, weight training takes so many forms and uses lots of different equipment. Our S46 PTs will make sure your weight training is always different!
Ladies, there’s no excuse not to be lifting, so pick up your free weights, pull on your cables and if you need any advice - just ask!
Iona is a fully qualified personal trainer, specialising in supporting those with CFS, M.E. & Fibromyalgia. She is also a business owner, writer and mental health awareness advocate, with a strong belief that health and fitness should be accessible and inclusive of everyone.